Browsed by
Tag: Elementary School

Panther Lake Elementary School

Panther Lake Elementary School

We had someone ask about the date of the old Panther Lake Elementary school. So we thought we’d share with everyone a quick history of Panther Lake!
In 1906 the people of the district voted to build a new school (the old school site on Benson & 208th). An acre of land was donated by A. Parmenter. The school directors gave a contract to Robert Melville to build a new school 42×40 ft for $180.00. The school bell was purchased from Sears & Roebuck of Chicago in Sept 1906. The first teacher in the new school was Miss Isabel Gibson for $50/month. The second teacher was J.M Joseph who received $60/mo for the first year and $70/mo for the second. The Janitor was paid $2.50/mo. In 1910 the voters authorized the board to build an addition to the school not to exceed $1200. A tract of 2 acres was purchased south of the school and 1 acre to the west. In 1938-39 the WPA built the present building (5 rooms) with basement, gym and cafeteria in the basement. In 1954 the board purchased 7 acres on the west making the present ground 11 acres.
The new Panther Lake school on 10200 SE 216th St. opened in 2009.
This is a photo of the students on the front steps in 1908. (From the Idding collection, named were Verna, Violet, Earl, Ed, Mother & Eva)

Close
loading...