We had someone ask about the date of the old Panther Lake Elementary school. So we thought we’d share with everyone a quick history of Panther Lake!
In 1906 the people of the district voted to build a new school (the old school site on Benson & 208th). An acre of land was donated by A. Parmenter. The school directors gave a contract to Robert Melville to build a new school 42×40 ft for $180.00. The school bell was purchased from Sears & Roebuck of Chicago in Sept 1906. The first teacher in the new school was Miss Isabel Gibson for $50/month. The second teacher was J.M Joseph who received $60/mo for the first year and $70/mo for the second. The Janitor was paid $2.50/mo. In 1910 the voters authorized the board to build an addition to the school not to exceed $1200. A tract of 2 acres was purchased south of the school and 1 acre to the west. In 1938-39 the WPA built the present building (5 rooms) with basement, gym and cafeteria in the basement. In 1954 the board purchased 7 acres on the west making the present ground 11 acres.
The new Panther Lake school on 10200 SE 216th St. opened in 2009.
This is a photo of the students on the front steps in 1908. (From the Idding collection, named were Verna, Violet, Earl, Ed, Mother & Eva)
The Museum is located in the historic Bereiter House at 855 East Smith Street.
Parking is available behind the house off East Temperance Street.
The Museum is open Wednesday through Saturday, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in August, noon to 4 p.m. the rest of the year and by appointment.
Phone # (253) 854-4330
Admission is by a suggested $2 donation; no tickets are required for entrance to the Museum.
The Greater Kent Historical Society (GKHS) is a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit organization in the state of Washington that promotes the discovery, preservation and dissemination of knowledge about the history of the greater Kent area.
All donations are tax deductible as allowed by IRS law.
GKHS operates the Kent Historical Museum.
Please see our profile on GuideStar.org for more details.