Kent Historical Museum installs 129-year old church bell
Story by Michelle Gehlman-Teeter
Photos by Tom Worrell
The Greater Kent Historical Society and Museum recently procured a big old church bell, and they needed a place to display it properly.
The First Presbyterian Church of Kent donated their 129-year old bell to the museum, when they closed their doors in 2017. The church had been a part of the Kent faith community since 1889, the building on Smith Hill being built in 1962. Unfortunately, their membership had dwindled and the building had aged to the point that it was too expensive to maintain so they made the difficult decision to close their doors. The historic church bell, some memorabilia, all of their folding chairs, and a portrait of one of their pastors were donated to the Kent History Museum.
It took five men to move the bell into the museum’s storage until a proper installation could be built. After several estimates that were out of reach of the small non-profit, Kent’s own C & G Construction Services, Inc. offered to donate their time and materials to build the outdoor installation.
View the original here: http://www.ilovekent.net/2019/01/07/kent-historical-museum-installs-129-year-old-church-bell/?fbclid=IwAR3JCNAyJdWOBmIx4_VJcUfZBcw72QYeWmRtvx_cNQ_oFlSllYSuACnIWr0